Friday, October 29, 2010

The doctor

I love doctors.   Like all of us, I've been poked and prodded, jabbed and questioned.  I live in an area where doctors are ever present, particularly the local Starbucks.  Doctors are some of the hardest working humblest people on the planet.  They've gotten a bad rap all about money.  They don't own their schedule, they've given it to us.  My neighbor, Ed, is a consummate public servant.  His car comes and goes at all hours.  I have often awaken in the middle of the night to his headlights.  Ed's a cardiac surgeon.  He saves people's lives.  But, folks, we own Ed's schedule.  If he's doing the bypass surgery on me next week, I sure hope he is sufficiently incentivized to do it well.  Ed serves hearts.   Anne and I happen to have been with Ed and Lori on the dance floor late last Saturday.  Ed has a big heart.  I might tell you more of this story later.  Back to doctors.

Anne and I have had some great times with doctors.  There's the anesthesiologist, a sweet lady who cooks like the iron chef.  Come to think of it, most of the doctors I know are good cooks.  Kinda scary, if one of them decided to contradict the oath and go the other way.  Seriously, Vito, Joe and Bobby are three of the finest people I know.  Boy, can they cook.  Maybe we should blame them for my clogged arteries.... no, just bum genetics and lack of disciple by me.   They love their wives.  I'm gonna stop for a second.  We all have problems - all our wives have problems.  Vito, Joe and Bobby - if something happens to me, I'll haunt you the rest of your lives if you don't stop and take the time to realize and really love your wives.  They are precious and they love you.  These three are examples -  that goes for all of us - love your wife and family.  Joe, thanks for stopping by to check on me in the Cath Lab Tuesday!

The point about doctors is that regardless of the money, the prestige, they first and foremost gotta have chosen the profession because they love to help people.  Being on call, the doctor is a slave to the patient.  Ponder what a doctor really does.  A doctor is a public servant.   Sure, like anyone some loose their way.  But, that's part of my motivation for this blog.  We all loose our way, from time to time, but where are we going?  What is my - your purpose?  Who do I serve?

Doctors are also willing to face some of the hard questions of life; life and death.  It must be difficult to live a life of helping people, yet facing the fact that we all die.  This thing we call body, dies and turns to dust.  Architects can design things that last thousands of years.  Doctors constantly fix something that will break again.  It will be dust within a hundred years.

No comments:

Post a Comment