Friday, October 29, 2010

No, I didn't have a heart attack

But, I really feel deeply for someone who has had a heart attack.  During the past three days, I've had a crash course on the mechanics of the heart.  Did I tell you that I like doctors?  I love science.  I know this amazing scientist... but that's another story I'll tell you later... Paul, doesn't Coldplay have a song about The Scientist or maybe you wrote one... I digress.   As I described in my last blog, Ed, the heart surgeon, lives on one side.  And, David, the cardiologist lives on the other.  David came over yesterday and spent two hours helping me understand the mechanics of the heart.  For one, David educated me on the success rate of bypass surgery; among the highest of all surgery.   So, if I don't make it, I take this moment to broadcast one reason, if not the reason, I started this blog: love your neighbor!  David detailed the various arteries and ventricles, you know, the stuff we memorized and forgot years ago.  Knowledge helps us on the way to confidence.  Check out DIKW - data, information, knowledge, wisdom.  Ignorance breeds fear.

Oh, and for those who heard a rumor: no, I didn't have a heart attack.  I felt what one might describe as slight burning sensation in my esophagus and a strange feeling in my right thumb.  Something coaxed me to tell Bruce (Dr. Swords) during my physical.  He ordered a stress test and, well you know some of the story.  Throughout this period and for the recent several months, I have felt pretty good.  Doctor Cooper said my heart if very strong, no sign of any damage.  Just bum luck arteries.

I met Bruce and Diane through coaching their son Clayton in soccer some many moons ago.  A lovely couple, plus Lauren and Clayton.  To this day, Clayton's first smile warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment