Sunday, November 21, 2010

Now

Its now two weeks and two days since my sternum was cut and three heart arteries were bypassed utilizing a vein from my right leg and a mammary artery.  I walked with my good friend, Hugh Jones, for over 30 minutes today in the beauty of a cool autumn evening.  Though I feel tinges of pain in my rib area and my right leg, I am recovering rapidly and, at moments today, felt better than before the surgery.  Would you give two weeks of pain in exchange for twenty years or more of a healthy heart?

I have had several friends ask for a description of the symptoms that lead me to talking with Dr. Swords (my general physician) about having a stress test.  On review, the key symptomatic correlation was that I felt the symptoms while exercising actively: at first, tingling in my right thumb, later some tingling in my right arm, and also the feeling or need to burp.  But, these symptoms were not "strong".

Don't become paranoid, but if you clearly have symptoms that cause you some concern, talk to a physician, now.  Don't wait.  Talk with someone who has heart damage, and he or she will tell you, don't wait for a heart attack to learn that you need medicine, a stint, or a bypass.

In my pre-operation meeting with Dr. Gerhardt (surgeon), he indicated that if all goes reasonable well, I should be snow skiing, maybe even racing by early February.  Right now, at my current pace of recovery, I am feeling more confident, each day, that this may become a reality.  So, don't wait to face your reality, whatever it is, act now.

Feel free to write me if you have questions.  My private email is belboro@mac.com

No comments:

Post a Comment