Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pre-operation preparation - two days before heart surgery

More info for those interested in the technical process of preparing for heart bypass.

Today, two days before surgery, the doctors ordered a series of tests.  These tests provide the surgical team with current patient information.

First, blood was drawn from an artery (not vein) in my left wrist.  This was a fascinating experience mostly because of the high technical proficiency and personality of the flobotomist.  I admit, he just didn't look like a flobotomist.   He was a wily young man with 12 years experience drawing blood.  When I asked him of his prior experience.  He exclaimed that he had hung and finished sheetrock,  adding that he often helps some the nurses in little remodeling projects.  So, I had to ask if he found that the sheetrock experience benefited flobotomy.  "Come to think of it", he reflected in a pleasant rural North Carolina accent, "you know when your trying to screw an inside sheetrock corner?"  Yes, I said.  "Well" he went on, "if you don't drive that screw in straight, it'll twist and damage the sheetrock."  What a great explanation.  Ryan did a great job.

Next, I was ushered to a cardiac sonogram room.  The purpose of cardiac sonograms is two fold.  One help identify the possibility of stroke; and, identify blood flow in arm and leg arteries.  These procedures are conducted with my cloths on, buy the way.  The technician, who unfortunately I didn't get a name, squirted a gel on my neck, then used a sonogram device to record the flow of blood in my right and left carotid artery.  Basically, she was searching for plaque on the walls of these arteries.  Fortunately, she found clear arteries in my neck.

Two, she used a sound recorder and sonogram device to record and film the flow of blood through the arteries in my ankles, feet, wrists, and hands, my extremities.  Of particular interest was the two arteries in the wrist and hand, named palmar arch.  This site provides a good diagram: http://home.comcast.net/~wnor/lesson5artofhand.htm

These tests help the surgeon's knowledge of the patient and provide them with risk indicators.  They both indicated that I was in good shape according to their experience.  These processes required about two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment