Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Still too tired to write a lengthy description, but here are a few important points

1.  Get checked early!  Don't wait.
2. Verify that your doctors are working together well.  Generalist with Cardiologist with Surgeon (if necessary).
3. Stay ahead of the pain.
4. People who care make the difference in life.  My heros are two nurses I haven't even met yet because I was so drugged, Samantha, and Portia Payne, my ICU nurses.  The first two nurses gently brought me out of anesthesia, held my hand, brought me back to life.  I'll find them and tell their story later.  Samantha (Sam) worked the 7PM to 7AM shift.  That shift in ICU is a little hades on earth.  Heart and lung alarms going off all night long.  Its a little like trying to sleep in Times Square after a beating.  Unfortunately, Sam was so busy, I didn't really get to know her.

My hero is Portia Payne.  She was incredible.  At each stage, she nursed me with health care, knowledge, and confidence.  For example, gently walking me through the extraction of two 1/2 tubes out of my abdomen (used to drain any blood that might collect around heart and lungs).  Saturday was, physically, the most miserable day I can imagine.  But, please, if you know a critical cancer patient, that is worse and they need our care and support much more than me.  Portia kept me positive and forward thinking spiritually, emotionally, and physically.  A few more Portia Payne's in the world and we would solve most of humanity's ridiculous problems.

Also, here are my two sweet at home nurses:
Sister Lynn and Anne


Tuesday morning!!  Only four days after open heart surgery.  At home in front yard for my 100yard exhausting walk. Wonderful walk!  Only 27 days of recuperation to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment