Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This Friday - details of surgery and recovery prognosis

This evening's blog is about the science of my heart surgery.  I hope that this helps others who either have personal concerns about their health or know of others who are experiencing heart health concerns.

We (Anne, Megan, Michael, and I) met with Dr. Ed Gerhardt, my cardiovascular surgeon,  today.  He explained that my Left Anterior Descending (LAD) artery is 100% blocked (very bad).  This probably occurred several years ago.  My Right Coronary Artery (RCA) is 60% blocked (bad).  This is most likely a more recent occurrence.  Interestingly, collateral arteries have grown from the RCA over to the lower section of the LAD supplying blood to that area of my heart.  This is probably why I have not experienced a heart attack.  If I don't go ahead with surgery, and if the RCA blockage increases, I could die of a heart attack.  Conversely, a successful surgery will give me a very high likelihood of many healthy years, and more ski racing!!

Surgery is scheduled for first thing Friday.  I will enter the hospital around 6am.  Ed explained that surgery will begin around 8am and last 4-5 hours.  By 2pm I should be in a Cardiac ICU room and awake by 3pm.  They would like me to walk with support by early evening Friday.  I will remain in ICU mildly sedated for one or two days.  Next I will step down to a intermediate ICU for two or so days.  During this time, I should be walking steadily.  He explained that the more I move, generally, the faster I will heal and recover, with the help of pain medicine.

If all goes very well, I will be home in three to five days.  The fact that I have not experienced a heart attack and am in pretty good physical shape, offers me a very high probability of relatively speedy recovery.  At home, he wants me to exercise (walk) as much as possible.  I should be back to bench pressing 150 lbs. by next Thursday - just joking - testing whether anyone is reading at this point.  Seriously, Ed said There will be walls that you didn't know existed in your home;  "suddenly you will be walking and hit that wall and you will need to rest".

The at home initial recovery is one to two weeks, then progress will be dictated by my resolve and ability to fight against laziness and my fight to recover.  The mean probability of success for this surgery and recovery is 98.5%.  This mean number includes all heart bypass patients in all age categories, so my probability number is closer to 99.9%, being that I am 50 years old and in good health.   During the next several weeks, if you read this and have questions, particularly questions about your emotional, physical or spiritual health, email me at belboro@mac.com.  I'll try to answer as best I can.

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting, Byron...I am sure you will have a speedy recovery. One thing I learned is that we focus so much on the surgical procedure itself--and recovery from the procedure--that we sometimes forget we are also recovering from anesthesia, which takes time. I imagine your very knowledgeable mother and sister both have words of wisdom (nutritional, alternative medicine) that aspect of recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron,

    The heart's ability to heal itself is wonderous. The fact that your RCA remodeled and grew branches to cover the other side is truly amazing. The allusions of a change of heart are too obvious, but everyone should be encouraged that a heart can change even when we don't know if it will.

    Glad to know that you are in good hands.

    All the best,
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think the miracle of those branches redirecting your blood supply occurred as you sliced through 20 enormous ski moguls at a ripping speed of 120 miles per hour? (And at 50 yrs. old!) So, do you think we have any question as to your ability to have an astonishingly quick and full recovery? Not really.
    All my love,
    Your Sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. you cannot get to heaven before me- who will caddy for you?
    lol.
    kx

    ReplyDelete