Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Week three

Last Friday was the three week anniversary of my surgery.  I was and am very thankful for the good result from surgery, but didn't want to write a nostalgic reflection.  As a French friend emphasized, I am lucky to have both good healthcare and insurance.

Technically, week three has ushered in significant improvement.  I have begun exercising, walking at least thirty minutes a day.  Yesterday, I climbed back onto a stationary bike for an easy fifty minute ride that felt great.  The pain has decreased sufficiently that I am now sleeping five to seven hours a night.

The interesting physiological effect was a noticeable lack of confidence for the the first two and a half weeks.  A deep sense of mortality and simple pain were the catalyst of this effect.  Week three seems to be significantly different.  Possibly the depletion of drugs from my body, plus the decrease of pain, plus a sense of overcoming has lead a feeling of tepid confidence.  You know folks, death is near; either you face it or fear it.  Fearing it inappropriately will not extend your life.  I write this because of hearing too many stories about people who put off seeing a cardiologist, resulting in a fatal heart attack.  A heart attack isn't the recommended metric for measuring your heart health.

No comments:

Post a Comment